Oh what a saga! This weeks challenge over at Just for Fun is still along the lines of recycling but using items found. The lovely Von has had us all recycling for the last few weeks. It has been really good fun taking part and seeing all the fabulous makes.
This is my entry for this weeks challenge. I started this project yesterday afternoon. Or I should say I started this and the original project yesterday afternoon!
I did struggle to find anything to use that I had not already found and put in my craft stash. A light bulb went on some where in my brain. I remembered that, a couple of days ago, Cecilia from The Kitchens Garden posted some photos of some fabulous glass insulators. Thinking about these, the shape and the colours, I remembered we have some nice smelly thingy bobbies in the bathrooms (photo below). Ok, it is not as pretty as one of the insulators but you can see where the thinking is going with this. I thought this would be perfect for the challenge. Everything went wrong from that moment!
My idea was to paint the glass bottle green and blue and around the flat area of the jar I would put some butterflies. All was going fine. I sponged (too mean to use my paint brushes) some glass paint around the bottle. I left the bottle suspended, upside down, on a large cork which was taped to a lid of a container. The container was wedge between two boxes. Ok, with me so far. I started to make the butterflies and all of a sudden, I am not kidding, the jar fell/flew off the shelf and smashed on the floor. Seriously, there must be a logical explanation but it gave me the absolute fright of my life! Extremely spooky. You can see the lovely blue and green colours.
I was soooo disappointed. I had also left it really late to start anything else for the challenge. I hunted quickly around the house and found a cough medicine bottle which I emptied the dregs out of and used. I still wanted to use the butterflies and follow the general theme of my idea.
What I used for the decorated bottle.
I covered the bottle with glass paint. When it was touch dry I rubbed mica powder into it and baked in the overn for 40 mins. The wire and cork are from a wine bottle. The butterflies are stamped images on glossy card stock.
That’s it from me. Off to find more bits of glass.
Best Wishes Florence.