Morning everyone. This weeks Out of A Hat Creations challenge is “Summer Time”. Again lots of scope for this weeks challenge. For full details of the challenge, to see Chrissie’s, Janet’s, and Sandra’s projects and all of the entries please click on the link above. Ooo! Nearly forgot. There is a little surprise coming up as well!!!
We are asking you to make a project with “Summer Time” as the main focus. Maybe you have a favourite song, colour, holiday destination, or poem that conjures up thoughts of Summer. Cricketers on the village green with cream teas and bunting has suddenly sprung to mind! Not sure where that has come from. Maybe you like to make memory albums and have lots of lovely mementos and ephemera from summer holidays that could be included in your project. The choice is yours. Whatever your crafting style is, whether it be card making, tags, altered art, sewing or journaling we hope you will join in the fun.
For this weeks project I have made a hanging plaque. When ever I think of summer time I think of the old white villas in the village. The terracotta roofs, the large wooden doors, the ornate metal grills at the windows and the glorious colours of the geraniums and petunias cascading down the walls.
I used a 15 cm x 15 cm x 5 mm piece of ply. I drilled two small holes at the top for the wire. I base coated it with brown acrylic craft paint. I painted on some weathered wood crackle medium just around the edges. When that was dry I added a coat of off white acrylic paint.
I stamped the geranium and masked it with a paper mask. I stencilled over this using an ornate patterned plastic mask and distressing inks, just to give more depth in the background. Leaving on the paper mask, covering the stamped image, I then stamped the script.
I used watered down acrylic paints to colour the flower being careful not to smudge the distressing inks that had been stencilled on. I used some spray varnish to fix the inks and to give a coating over the painted flowers. I then applied a coat of crackle medium, giving a thinner coat at the edges, over the whole plaque. I then rubbed some brown acrylic paint into the cracks to give a distressed look.
One thing I would say is that the distressing inks, used on the background, really lightened in colour as I added the layers of medium and as it dried completely over night. I was quite pleased with the result though. The photo doesn’t really show the pattern up that well. Stamps used: Chocolate Baroque.
Thank you to everyone who joined in the challenge last week. The projects were just amazing. They really were. So many different and inspiring creations. You can see them all by popping over to the challenge blog. At the bottom of last weeks post you will see all of the names of everyone who entered the challenge. Each name is a link back to the respective blog. Just click on them and enjoy!!!
I can’t wait to see what you come up with this week.
Tat tar for now.
Best Wishes Florence x