Morning everyone. This week’s Out of the Hat Creations challenge is Travel Postcards. We are asking you to make a postcard focusing on travel. Maybe this could be a destination where you would like to travel to, or maybe you have already been. What about Paris, New York or Rome……Brighton Pier or Sunny Sands at Barmouth!! Have you a travel postcard that maybe you could incorporate into your project? What about transport…. planes, trains and automobiles? The style, as always, is your choice, whether it be vintage, modern or quirky.
For full details of the challenge, to see Chrissie’s, Janet’s and Sandra’s projects plus all the fabulous entries click on the link above or the link on the sidebar. There is a lovely prize on offer this month which has been very generously donated by Janet. You have to be in it to win!
I had so much fun with this challenge. I did have a few dramas with the ink but once I changed products everything was fine although there is some slightly dubious stamping. I used coated card stock which allowed me to apply plenty of ink without it showing through on the back. This coated card stock doesn’t like stazon so I switched to Ranger’s Archival ink. My new best friend.
I have used the same technique on all of these. Firstly, I masked the sides of the card with some post-its, to give, what should have been, a white border. I stamped my main image and *masked it. I then sponged all over the card with distressing inks and used an old potato sack as a stencil and inked some more. Leaving the masks on, I then stamped the swirls and boarder patterns around the edge and the wording.
After removing the masks (only from the image. Keep the post-its on around the edge) and the ink was dry, I then coloured the main image with a distressing inks and basic childrens felt tips. I applied the ink, to the larger areas, first with felt tips and then sponged over some DI s. A little tip. When colouring the images, pop a piece of copier paper over the inked card stock so that you can lean on it without smudging the base ink. I then added a few high lights with a white gel pen and removed all masks. To fix the inks, I gave all of the postcards a light spray of acrylic varnish. You only use a tiny little bit of varnish and it is worth it.
On the card above, I used stationery hole protectors as a mask and then inked the card up as mentioned above. I loooove this little chappy. I think it is my favourite of these stamps. Look at his little feet! Sooo cute
* Masking. I use Judikins masking paper. This is quite flimsy. One thing I have found useful and just wanted to share with you. When you have stamped your image on the masking paper, pop the m. paper onto a piece of clean copier paper before you cut it out. It makes it so much more easier to cut out, stops the grease off your hands going onto the stick and it is easy to peel off the copier paper. Copier paper is a great way to store the cut out masks as well.
Thank you to everyone who joined in the challenge last week. We have so much fun with these challenges and part of that fun is visiting you all and seeing your wonderful projects, reading how you made them and your interpretation of the themes. We hope you will join us again this week.
Tat tar for now.
Best Wishes Florence x