This weeks challenge theme over at Out of the Hat Creations is “Keys and Locks”. We are asking you to make a project, anything you like, that includes keys and locks. It can be a card, altered art project, journal page, tag or anything that grabs your fancy really. If you need some ideas do pop over to the Hatters blog and check out Chrissie’s, Janet’s and Sandra’s inspirational projects.
I made a key picture for my project
I used an old wooden frame for this project and to give it a bit of depth I tacked onto the back of it some 8mm x 8mm wooden beading. This can be glued if you don’t want to use tacks.
For the base of my picture, I base coated (3 coats) a piece of 8mm ply with brown acrylic paint. When the paint was dry I gave it a coat of PVA glue and left to dry. I then painted over the dried glue with cream acrylic paint and left this to dry and crackle.
I then stenciled the corners using an ornate corner mask and some spray inks (autumn brown and olive green). I then [* see end of post] stamped the fancy red pattern using some wine coloured DecoArt Americana acrylics. I then masked off a couple of areas and stamped the script using black paint.
Not sure I have I have stamped the script the right way around! lol ! Never mind hey. I have now got the giggles!!! Oh dear…. concentrate.
I sprayed the board 3 times with fine coats of acrylic spray varnish. I only used spray varnish because I needed to fix the spray inks.
If you are not using spray inks and using acrylic paint to stamp with normal varnish from a tin is fine. If you are using ink to stamp your image and not paint use spray varnish to fix and seal it. If anyone has any questions about this please give me a shout.
I used a little punch to cut out 6 tags from scrap card. I scrunched the tags up and distressed them using DIs. I then ironed them flat again. I stamped my images using black archival ink. I ran a craft blade around the edges including the little holes to distress them some more. I scuffed up the string using a craft knife and frayed the ends to make it look old.
I fixed the keys to the board with black wire from my stash. I placed the keys where I wanted them to go and then marked where I wanted the wire to hold them. I drilled holes in the board with a very tiny drill bit. I threaded the wire from the back, over the keys and then back through the board. I then twisted the two pieces of wire to secure. I then glued my board to the beading using wood glue. Any strong adhesive will work.
Stamps used: Red ornate pattern in corners and script – Chocolate Baroque, Locks on the tags – Crafty Individuals and the heads on the tags – PaperArtsy (Lynne Perralla design).
* Stamping using paint. I do like the Decoarts Americana paints for stamping with. They have a really nice consistency. It is a bit of trial and error using paint to stamp with as the paint works differently on different designs of stamps. Mostly, I apply the paint gently using the flat of the brush. This stops too much paint being applied. It is trial and error and you may need to add more paint depending on the stamp’s image, how deep the etch is (is that the correct word?) and also the finish you want. The bold designed stamps (ie a lot of flat rubber areas) work fabulous with paint. Really good fun trying it out on scrap card and far more economical than ink. We like that don’t we! lol!
TAKE A LOOK: This is a scheduled post but I nipped back to add this on. I was visiting one of my favourite blogs the other night –Strangely Creative at Pinxton Craft Club. I am in awe of Cathryn’s work. You know when you see something that just blows you away and if you were with a friend you would be saying “hey come and look at this”. Well that is what I am doing… “hey come and look at this”! Such a fantastic clock. If you have never visited Cathryn’s blog before, do have a look at her amazing artwork. Soooo talented!
Thank you for looking