I hope you are all well and snuggling down for the winter. Thank you to everyone for your comments on my last post. They are very much appreciated.
Today I would like to share with you a wooden box I decorated/altered for this month’s Chocolate Baroque Color Challenge.
For full details of the challenge, this month color swatch and the fabulous inspirational pieces by the super duper team, please click HERE or click on the image link in the side bar.
I started my project by removing the hinges and giving the box and the coaster a really good sanding down.
I then base coated the wooden heart shape box (lid and base – inside and outside) with 2 coats of Gesso.
I then painted the lid (inside and outside) with three coats of red paint. Please note that the amount of coats required is dependent on the paint you are using.
When the paint was dry I stamped the flowers and tiny patterned images on the lid using Plum Archival Ink.
When the paint was dry I stamped the the floral pattern around the box using a light brown Archival Ink.
With this shape box, I find it easier to place the stamp on the table, ink it up and roll the box onto the inked stamp. I did over lap the image slightly but in real life it is hard to tell. To be honest it looks a bit like embossed leather…well from a distance 🙂
I think this photo of the back of the box gives a better idea of the rolling method. I placed the stamp at the very edge of the table (as mentioned above), trying to get the edge of the stamp as far into the top of the heart indent as possible and then just pressed and rolled.
I base coated both sides of the coaster with two coats of Gesso and three coats of a peach colored paint to the top side and three coats of light brown colored paint to the underneath side and edge.
I added the shading around the edge of the top side of the coaster by half loading the paint brush with a light brown paint.
I stamped my Elephant image using Black Archival Ink.
I masked the Elephant and then stamped the floral pattern, over the Elephant, using a Brown Archival Ink.
I colored the image using watered down craft paints applied with a small paint brush.
I painted the lid, the base and the round embellishment with 2 coats of Gel Medium as a protective layer. I wanted the finish to be mat so I gave all of the pieces of the box a quick spray of fixative. This also takes away any tackiness/stick that you some times get with these sorts of finishing mediums.
To finish off the box, I re-attached the hinges and fixed on the row of faux gems and the Elephant embellishment to the lid using a strong PVA as per the photos above.
That’s all from me today folks. Thank you for looking. Always great to have your company.