I hope you are all well and settling into to the weekend.
We have been watching the Tudor over the last couple of weeks. Love the program but it is a bit “Don’t look Ethel” isn’t it!? My word! My biggest question for this century is why wasn’t Henry Cavill chosen to play James Bond!! Seriously he was made for the part!! Anyway, getting back to this post. The Tudors and anything historical really interests me, always has done. I have been thinking about Tudoresque projects and when I saw the PaperArtsy challenge I thought I would make up a sort of mood book or inspiration book if you like. Somewhere to put ideas etc. The challenge is books (big, small bindings) so lots to play with. I knew I wouldn’t get a completed book finished in the time and this is one of those books you just keep adding to, when you want to, but I thought I would start one off and enter it into the challenge.
The base of the front cover didn’t really go to plan. I ended up painting it with my hands and then lost control of the black so it turned out a little bit grungier than I wanted. The past two weeks have been incredibly hot with the humidity at about 15% and I physically couldn’t get the paint on quick enough before it dried using a brush. The colours should be olive and cranberry. Then I put splashes on which don’t go. Having said all that lots of positives came from this project and lots of ideas for later use.
The embellishment on the front cover was inspired by antique miniature portrait broaches and Codex Rotundus books.
I thought it would be nice to have a book on a book.
The pages for inside.
I used really cheap and cheerful water colour paper for the pages and just spritzed them with diluted ink, through stencils.
I then aged the edges using a heat gun and some lemon juice. Everything went wrong this week. My heat gun is playing up (probably the heat sensor) so I had to use the industrial type heat gun. It worked fine but it scorched some areas. Nice charred effect in other though. The trick was to keep it moving all of the time. If you do try this please be careful. The paper can catch fire.
The pages were finished and I just couldn’t face sewing these into a book and I didn’t prepare the book cover to do this before I started (my bad planning!) so I just used a metal binding.
A quick and simple metal binding.
Pages ages with lemon juice and heat gun.
The photo above was taken in a light box and the colours are slightly different.
It is just to give an idea of what inside the front cover looks like.
Below are a few of the pages I started adding things to. Just the basics and then lots will be added at a later date.
I like to add photos or images to these pages. This image is an old post card.
I quite like the flower page as it is. So I thought maybe I will add just some prompt words to this at a later date.
The keys on the page below have been stamped, fussy cut out and glued on.
Another post card (Alcazaba Malaga) on this one and I thought it suited this stamp image. A sort of reflected idea.
A bit more scorching!!
Another pretty one to add some words or thoughts to at a later date.
To decorate the book cover
I base coated an old book cover with Gesso. I glued onto the front a plastic lid and then covered all surfaces with tissue paper. I then gave it all another coat of Gesso. I added some patterns using relief paste and a stencil, painted the the surface and added some bronze relief paste. As I mentioned above, I added to much black so I sanded some of it down, to try and highlight the patterns and the creases in the tissue. Well….. put it this way, it didn’t do it any favours! I then and then added a bit more bronze paste but that didn’t help much either. So, at this point I gave up and thought it will have to do!! 🙂 All good fun though.
Thank you for looking.
Have a wonderful weekend.